.
Dear readers:
For our sixth anniversary in May 2010, The Caribbean Review of Books has launched a new website at www.caribbeanreviewofbooks.com. Antilles has now moved to www.caribbeanreviewofbooks.com/antilles — please update your bookmarks and RSS feed. If you link to Antilles from your own blog or website, please update that too!

Monday 14 May 2007

"A blog comes closest to the feel of a novel"

I started off writing as a poet, and I’ve learned not everything can or should be a poem. As I’ve often said to my students in my creative writing workshops, a poem is that bok! of when the ball meets the bat and it shakes you up. A short story is about bottom of the ninth, the bases are loaded, both teams are tied, and the pitcher begins his motion. A novel is the whole shebang--what Henry James called the “loose, baggy, monster.” A blog comes closest to the feel of a novel--it can be anything. This is why I’ve given myself such strict limits about what my blog should be and what it shouldn’t be. By setting such narrow parameters, my writing doesn’t end up all over the place and I know exactly what my subject matter will be.

-- Geoffrey Philp, from an interview I did with him recently, posted today at Global Voices, in which he talks about why he started his weblog, what makes good writing in any medium or genre, and what Caribbean writers should be using blogs for.

No comments: